Monday 23 June 2014

Remembering my school days at Kendriya Vidyalaya Baragolai

The K.V. Days:  Breaking in to the mould

Bharat Ka Swarnim Gaurav 
Kendriya Vidyalaya Laayega.. 
Takshashila, Nalanda Ka 
Itihaas Lout Kar  Aayega..."

I still don’t have any clue, as to why my father insisted on putting me in to Kendriya Vidyalaya, Baragolai. As a matter of fact, I was more than happy in St. Mary’s School. Some of my friends with whom I appeared for the entrance test included Deepjyoti Gogoi and Uttam Kumar Sinha, who were my classmates from my convent school days. Although I do clearly remember that I had fairly cleared the arithmetic and general knowledge papers; I was in doubt about the Hindi. At St .Mary’s I had opted for Assamese and all that I knew about Hindi was generally sound enough to help me go through the popular comics of that time.
But, destiny had something for me, I was accepted.

Well, after completing my vacation, on my very first day, there was utter confusion. Most of the guys I knew from my St. Mary’s who had left had joined K.V. and were quite happy to find me. I was more inclined to be with my friends in section A and instead, I was thrown in to the section B.

On the other hand, being a St.Marian, there was some amount of pride in me and I did initially look down upon the others as lesser mortals.  However, now I realize that most of my friends from my section; they did provide me all the support and embraced me as one among them. They were simple folks with a golden heart. Chandan, Ajay Rawat, Murali, Md. Usman Ali, Kamesh and most of the guys; they provided me with all the help and support and I do owe them a lot.

The assembly session lasted about 30 minutes and included the prayer, student pledge, thought of the day, news, quiz and finally the national anthem. This was something which was entirely alien to me.


Once my seniors from Raman House found out that I am from an English medium school, on my very first week, I was asked to participate in a competition. I was given topic “pollution” and it was required by me to speak something about the menace and how we can help to clean the environment. When I told Alok and Somnath bhaiya that I am not quite comfortable, they threatened me with dire consequences. 

( to be continued) 

No comments:

Post a Comment